These 4 weeks in OpenSim Dev – weeks ending 9th November 2013

Hello everybody.  This is a summary of the last four week’s development changes in OpenSimulator.   Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge ‘master’ branch in OpenSimulator’s Git source control system. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed.  Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment.  Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.6 (released on October 4, 2013).

The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.

This post covers git master commits dbdcf2d to fd24147.

General news

  • None this week.

Features & bug fixes

  • I updated OpenSimulator from the .NET 3.5 framework to .NET 4.0, as previously discussed.  On Windows, this means that OpenSimulator now requires the .NET 4 framework to be installed.  On Mono, the official minimum version becomes 2.10.8.1, though versions as early as Mono 2.8 will probably continue to work.  This updates allows modInvoke to register functions with more than a couple of parameters (ea9e96d).
  • I changed the LSL parser to generate a syntax error if a state_entry() LSL event is specified with any parameters.  This checking will be extended to all other events in due course (2b069a3).
  • Dahlia started implementing particle glow and blending (?) in conjunction with changes to libopenmetaverse by lkalif (3b2721c).
  • Robert started work on variable region support.  This will allow one to specify single regions that are larger than 256m squares, though the dimensions must still be divisble by 256 (e.g. 256 x 512).  Unlike megaregions, this will require specific viewer-side support.  This work is currently being done in a separate varregions branch though testers are welcome.
  • I fixed a race condition in pCampbot where a bot could sometimes continue to attempt actions even after it had been disconnected (2d315ec).
  • I added IncomingPacketsResentCount and OutgoingPacketsResentCount to the client comms UDP stack.  This allows one to get some sense of how many packets are being resent by server and clients due to lack of acknowledgement.  A figure increasing at a high rate may indicate an overloaded server or a generally poor network connection.  A figure increasing at a moderate rate may indicate a network or performance issue for a particular connection.  Specific counts of packets resent to specific clients can also be seen, as before, with the “show queues” console command (831bf55).
  • I fixed an issue where pCampbot bots could be given the same seed in their random number generator, resulting in sets of bots always performing the same actions (c639524).
  • Robert continued to work on BulletSim, reducing CPU requirements (d23ef79).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *