Hello everybody. This is a summary of this week’s development changes in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge ‘master’ branch in OpenSimulator’s Git source control system. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.5 (released on February 9, 2013).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSimulator ( 3f0fa9f – a37c59b ).
- The first OpenSimulator Community Conference (OSCC13) took place! It was a great success and feedback from attendees was extremely positive. I hope to write my own blog post about it soon.
Features & bug fixes
- I made the server not reply to UUID -> avatar user name requests that it cannot resolve, rather than returning “Unknown UserUMMTGUN9”. This is a measure to stop the viewer permanently caching the “Unknown UserUMMTGUN9” binding for a particular UUID when the correct binding may be available later on (1d24668).
- I made a UUID.Zero user ID always resolve to “Unknown User”. This is to prevent debug log spamming when UUID.Zero requests are made because no valid user is present. No real user should use UUID.Zero as their ID (8502517).
- I fixed llGetLinkPrimitiveParams() to abort and return the existing list of parameters when given an invalid link number, rather than throwing an internal Exception. This is the same as current LL grid behaviour. This patch was an extension of one contributed by Talun (60cf42c).
- I fixed a bug where using PRIM_LINK_TARGET with llGetLinkPrimitiveParams() would not return any data if there was only one parameter request following the link number (f99dae0).
- I doubled the time spent waiting for a UseCircuitCode packet on avatar login or teleport. This may resolve issues on teleport for some OpenSimulator installations (f4d82a5).
- Oren Hurvitz of Kitely contributed a patch to make the UUID gatherer correctly record assets used in light projection, particle systems and collision sounds. The UUID gathere is used for transferring Hypergrid assets and in determining which assets to save for OpenSimulator Archives (OARs) and OpenSimulator Inventory Archives (IARs) (f126773).
- I made new regions rated General by default instead of Mature. On General regions, scripted object sounds will play by default instead of requiring the user to switch their viewer to Mature level (c06a9ff).
- Robert Adams of Intel continued to work on the BulletSim physics plugin for OpenSimulator, this week fixing the slight jump when an avatar stops walking (35a636).
- Oren Hurvitz contributed a patch to improve giving of items between avatars on different simulators (cbdfe96).
- No news this week.