Hello everybody. This is a summary of the weeks of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.4 (released on August 31st, 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( a87c4c7 – 5b79bfc ).
- Diva, with a little help from SignpostMarv, converted all the existing core OpenSimulator region modules to the ISharedRegionModule/INonSharedRegionModule interfaces from the deprecated IRegionModule interface. The IRegionModule interface has been deprecated for almost 4 years so has now been entirely removed.
Features & bug fixes
- Following on from one of Diva’s changes from last week, I made various map related requests happen on their own threads rather than on the main inbound UDP processing thread. These may remove any chance for slow map related requests to freeze the scene from the viewer perspective (daf03bf).
- I updated the OpenSimulator Prebuild part of the build process so as not to generate unnecessary source code <copy> commands for Nant builds. This seems only to have become a problem with Nant 0.92 (as shipped, for instance, in Ubuntu 12.10) – the <copy> elements may simply have been ignored in earlier Nant versions due to a bug. OpenSimulator will still build just fine if unnecessary copies take place but it takes a lot longer (7861090).
- I ported inventory folder version fixes from the MySQL database plugin to both the SQLite and MSSQL plugins. The hope is that these fixes will reduce the number of inventory requests that some Linden Lab version 3 based viewers are making (16dd94b).
- I stopped calls to the inventory service update item facility from being able to change properties that should never change, such as creator information and owner. The aim is both to prevent these changes and identify bugs in the simulator in this area, since change attempts are logged. This may help with issues where sometimes object creators appear to change as reported in Mantis 6359, though I don’t yet know this for certain. (2aa58c5).
- No news this week.