Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.4 (released on August 31st, 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( f7b88d1 – 783ee94 ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- SignpostMarv contributed a patch to add an osGetNumberOfAttachments() OSSL function. This returns the number of attachments given a list of attachment points. This function may be of limited use until OpenSimulator supports multiple attachments on a single point, though it would still tell you whether or not there was any attachment there or not. See Mantis 6208 for more details (a858c5d).
- SignpostMarv contributed a patch to add an osMessageAttachments() OSSL function. This allows one to send a link message to a selection or all of an avatars attachments. See Mantis 6208 for more details (ff867b5).
- I improved the experimental ReuseDynamicTextures option to not reuse dynamically generated textures that have a very small data length in comparison to their pixel area. This works around a current viewer bug where such textures are not properly redisplayed if pulled from the viewer cache. This is controlled via the ReuseDynamicLowDataTextures = false option in the [Textures] section of OpenSim.ini (d2b0074).
- Robert Adams of Intel continued to work on the BulletSim plugin, making it compatible with megaregions amongst less user-facing changes (32b534f).
- SignpostMarv contributed a patch to allow the size of linksets to be restricted. This only applies to new linksets. This can be controlled by setting a non-zero LinksetPrims value in the [Startup] section of OpenSim.ini (783ee94).
- No news this week.