Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last two weeks of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1 (released on March 30th 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 3f6dfa9 – 3ecd390 ).
- The first release candidate for the next version of OpenSimulator, 0.7.4-rc1, is now available for download and testing. If you encounter bugs which appear in this release but were known not to be in OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1, then please raise a Mantis report under the 0.7.4-rc1 product version. All other bugs should be raised against the master version as usual.
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie of Avination made llGetObjectDetails() return the world rotation for the OBJECT_ROT option (3f6dfa9).
- Robert Adams from Intel continued to work on OpenSimulator Bullet physics engine plugin, improving linking, resizing, flying and collision processing among many other things (e7ad6ed).
- Mic Bowman from Intel added support for region modules to add their own constants to the script engine, in addition to custom script functions (a76a289).
- I fixed a bug when sending sounds to clients which would wrongly reduce the sound the more avatars there were in the region (both real clients and NPCs) (d89faa3).
- SignpostMarv contributed an osGetRezzingObject() OSSL function that will return the UUID of the prim that rezzed the script. If the script was rezzed by a different entity (e.g. a user) then this returns UUID.Zero (513b77b).
- I fixed the code to properly dispose of all GDI+ entities used in the vector render module after use. This may improve any situation where memory is leaking when this module is used (chiefly via the OSSL vector drawing functions) (eeef9d7).
- Kevin Cozens contributed a patch to send the group membership fee to a third party groups service for persistence when a group is created (72075e6).
- Oren Hurvitz of Kitely contributed a patch to fix a rare bug where saving an OpenSim Archive (OAR) will very occasionally fail on saving a large region (0588f27).
- I added a SendPeriodicAppearanceUpdates option to the [Appearance] configuration section of OpenSim.ini.example. If set to true in OpenSim.ini, this will periodically (every 60 seconds) resend appearance information of in-scene avatars to other users. This has been shown to help in some situations where avatars would otherwise be persistently grey – for some reason some clients occasionally ignore the first packet. It does not help in situations where avatars remain cloudy – this is due either because the client in question has not uploaded a valid baked texture. Currently this setting defaults to false but will not have any performance impact if set to true (789e88d).
- I fixed an old regression (which was in OpenSimulator 0.7.3 and 0.7.3.1) where parcel ownership data was no longer saved in OARs. If you want to continue to save OARs without this information, then please use the –publish option on the “save oar” command (374ebab).
- Melanie from Avination made the llResetScript() LSL command properly release any URLs it had obtained (926c0b9).