Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1 (released on March 30th 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( d32cf21 - 112cddc ).
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie from Avination made scripts preserve their running or not running status when objects are shift copied (d32cf21).
- Michelle Argus contributed a patch that allows viewers to be allowed or banned from individual simulators via their viewer strings. This feature was only previously available on the login service for the grid as a whole (3399596).
- I added the OSSL function osForceAttachToAvatarFromInventory(). This allows a script to attach items to its owner directly from its own inventory, rather than having to first rez these in the scene with embedded scripts that will then call llAttachToAvatar(). This function is useful if you want to attach items via script in regions where the avatar does not have build permission (951b45b).
- SignpostMarv contributed simulator console commands to set existing terrain on a region to a minimuim or a maximum height (510e809).
- I added a log warning message if time between watchdog runs (which checks the status of long running threads) is twice as long as the timer setting. This aims to detect when thread timeout warnings are being issued because of general machine issues rather than deadlock or network problems (7e73f60).
- Talun contributed an osNpcTouch() OSSL method. This allows OSSL NPCs to touch objects in the region (1b1f841).
- Talun contributed a patch to stop NPCs being able to chat empty lines on the public region channel (ae1f211).
- Robert Adams of Intel updated the BulletSim physics plugin to clean up collision reporting. He also updated the OpenSimulator embedded version of BulletSim itself. Work continues on linksets and vehicles (7aff238).
- No news this week.