Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1 (released on March 30th 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( b099f26 – 5c5b359 ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- BlueWall made the option to run a set of console commands periodically on a timer to have a configurable time interval. This is done by setting timer_Interval in the [Startup] section of OpenSim.ini. The location of the console command script is set by timer_Script in the same section (7c0843a).
- I stripped out the time taken to transmit an HTTP request back from the server to a caller from the assessment of whether a request has been handled slowly (and hence logged). This portion of the delay is not something that we can do much about on the simulator – it’s the server-side delay that we’re really interested in. A warning based on the full time period may come back in the future (ed513fc).
- Melanie of Avination contributed an implementation of llCastRay() (4e18e71).
- I added a “deregister region” ROBUST console command for the grid service. This can be useful for manually deregistering a region if a simulator has crashed without removing its region registrations and the region configuration of that simulator has since changed (5145356).
- In the osGetGridInfo*() OSSL script functions, I stopped an exception being returned if there is no GridInfoURI set in the config files. Instead “Configuration Error” is now returned, in common with other situations where GridInfoURI is set but can’t be contacted, etc (1f34c82).
- Melanie of Avination fixed an issue where sounds would sometimes stop playing if something attempted to play a sound that was not known by the grid (cba8b4f).
- I fixed a bug where sounds playing from attachments would not work if the attachment was at the neck or avatar center positions (a429004).
- I fixed a race condition where sometimes HUD object updates could be sent to the wrong avatars if the object was being attached as HUD directly from being in the scene (e.g. through an llAttachToAvatar() call). This would make prims appear in the HUD positions of avatars that did not own the object (2c65550).
- I fixed a bug where objects attached as HUDs directly from the scene (e.g. through an llAttachToAvatar() call) would not disappear for other users (2c65550).
- I made the “debug http” console command available on the ROBUST console as well as the simulator. This command can be handy for debugging purposes since it displays all the HTTP requests coming into the server (from capabilities, connections from other regions, etc.). For now this doesn’t cover HTTP polling (ed513fc).
- I implemented a max_external_urls_per_simulator setting in the [LL-Functions] section of OpenSim.ini which can control how many urls can be set up by llRequestURL() before some need to be released. The default remains as 100 (7119de5).