Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1 (released on March 30th 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 5c646e2 – a8a9d13 ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- I changed the statistics data that OpenSimulator returns to the viewer to genuinely show per frame statistics for physics time, agent time, etc. rather than the amount of time taken by these functions over a second. This also makes these statistics better tally with the frames per second numbers. There may still be some inaccuracy with these numbers that needs to be resolved (96d1ba9).
- I changed statistics generation so that frame time now covers time spent working + any spare time, rather than just work time. This better aligns with how these statistics are used elsewhere and makes it easier to see when frame time exceeds the normal time. May still need some adjustment (655625a).
- Talun contributed a patch to properly implement the AgentPaused packet that is sent by the viewer in some circumstances (e.g. when a modal dialog such as “upload image” is being displayed) (008c6a4).
- Garmin Kawaguichi contributed a patch that I adapted to make the “fix-phantoms” region console command available even when Megaregions aren’t active. One can run this command to stop solid objects being wrongly phantom if one has changed the settings from a Megaregion (via the CombineContiguousRegions setting) to a set of normal regions (a5410c2).
- SignpostMarv contributed a patch to allow the min and max height of all 4 corners of a region to be set with a single “set terrain heights” region console command (3b25021).
- I made the close procedure for viewers being kicked out of a simulator due to ack timeout to happen asynchronously rather than synchronously. This will stop all other clients being frozen for a short period if this happens (c215b1a).
- I changed the grid configuration so that a new user gets the minimum set of body parts and clothing to stop being a gas cloud when they are created via the “create user” region console command (or via the createuser ROBUST HTTP call) in grid mode. This was already happening in standalone mode (1f3218e).
- No news this week.