Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Only changes that I think will be interesting to end users are listed. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.3.1 (released on March 30th 2012).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 522eff6 – c11b376 ).
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- TBG Renfold contributed a patch to implement llGenerateKey() (9c2a73b).
- Snoopy Pfeffer of Dreamland Metaverse fixed a bug where using PRIM_BUMP_SHINY in llSetLinkPrimitiveParams() generated a runtime error (100e4ca).
- On teleport, I reduced the delay before the user agent in the source region is closed after the teleport is approved by the destination region down to 2000ms from 5000ms. This eliminates a bug where the client would be closed if the user teleported back to the source region within 5 seconds. However, there still needs to be some delay since some viewers (e.g. Imprudence) take a couple of hundred milliseconds to register the client’s presence in the new region (fcd5b08).
- I extended ‘slow’ request logging to other simulator outbound network comms (to grid services and other simulators). This is to help identify simulator issues which occur because of degraded network conditions (6096a1f).
- Gudule Lapointe of Speculoos and Olivier Van Helden contributed a patch so that viewers are sent Daylight Savings Time (true or false) for US Pacific Time by default. Oddly, the viewer doesn’t accept any other time information such as the actual zone. So as viewers DST to always related to US Pacific DST, this is the correct information to send for now. If you want the old behaviour (where DST was set depending on the local timezone of the login server) then please set DSTZone = local in the [LoginService] section (cccef2e).
- Talun contributed a patch to fix problems with damage and llSetDamage(). This deletes any objects which hit an avatar where llSetDamage() has been set, stops gods receiving damage, stops volume detect causing damage, deletes NPCs when their health falls to zero, gradually heals damage to an avatar, resets health when an avatar goes to a non-damage area and allows damage on parcels set to safe if the region as a whole is set to damage enabled. See Mantis 6004 for more details (92fde6e).
- I made a change so that OpenSimulator no longer tries to update the access time of a file that is still being cached by another thread. This may reduce IOErrors on Windows when loading OpenSim Archives (OARs) or Inventory Archives (IARs) (dec6ad2).
- I fixed a bug so that the changed scripting event is now properly fired with CHANGED_OWNER when a an object that has changed owners is rezzed (01b00ad).
- No news this week.