Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.1.1(released on May 27th 2011).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( e9a739f – 4cdc880 ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- I overhauled scene object undo/redo so that it largely works with two exceptions. The first is that undoing a resize requires two undos – for some reason the client is sending two updates, one to change the prim position and another to do the actual resizing, it’s not straightforward to associate these since the requests are treated separately. The second is that rotating a group of scene objects which are all selected with ‘Edit linked parts’ checkbox ticked does not undo properly. Doing the same operation without this box ticked does work as expected. Everything else appears to be fine (51c4767).
- Melanie fixed a bug which caused OpenSim’s ODE physics plugin to generate exceptions. This bug was introduced within the last week (9fc7d65).
- I made the TextureOnMapTile setting in the [Startup] config section default to true. This flag uses terrain textures when generating maptiles in the older (non Warp3D) maptile generator (1c758ae).
- Oren Hurvitz contributed a patch to improving updating of avatar appearance, so that multiple AvatarIsWearing and SetAppearance packets sent by the viewer don’t end up overwriting each other’s settings (568e0bf).
- Oren Hurvitz contributed a patch to stop an asset being requested multiple times if it’s already been asynchronously requested once but not yet delivered. This improves startup time. Please see his Kitely blog post for more details (71e4fa8).
- Oren Hurvitz contributed a patch to generate the initial region maptile asynchronously. This improves startup times for regions with many objects. Please see his Kitely blog post for more details (02e54c5).
- Michelle Argus contributed a patch that gets OpenSim to read the region user limit properly when loading region config via HTTP rather than from the filesystem (6ac0bc7).
- I fixed an issue where physics proxies were not being generated for sculpties properly. This was making previously fine sculpties invisibly block avatar movement (aadc4eb).
- I stopped library scripts and notecards from appearing to be editable by users. This doesn’t resolve problems with actually copying them to user inventory or prims – for some reason this only ever works on the very first time they are accessed, or after a cache clear. Really not sure why this is – doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with the library data that ends up in the viewer cache (be9b4ad).
- I changed the default AllowScriptCrossings setting to be true rather than false. If this is set to true, scripting entering the simulator from another simulator (such as those contained within attachments) are paused and restarted. If this is set to false, the script is still restarted on the destination simulator but the state is not preserved (i.e. the script is started from scratch). This doesn’t apply to region crossings within the same simulator – these always preserve script state (ea58aee).
- Michelle Argus contributed a patch to pass the first name and last name given by an incoming agent to the external authorization service (if present) rather than taking these from the user account data. This is to stop this failing if an agent has come in via the Hypergrid (and so doesn’t have an account on that grid). However, I believe that the agent can set these names to anything so they shouldn’t be trusted very much in authorization contexts (504de8b).
- Melanie fixed an issue with using llTextBox with the most recent libomv library used by OpenSim (4cdc880).
- Dan Lake, Robert Adams and Huaiyu Liu from Intel continued to work on the distributed scene graph. There is an event this Friday on ScienceSim for anybody who wants to help with load testing.
- Dan Lake and Robert Adams from Intel continued to work on an implementation of a Bullet physics adapter. for OpenSim.